Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Fixing MBR error on Windows 7


I had Windows 7 on my 64-bit machine. And then I needed Ubuntu installation in parallel on my computer. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 through Ubuntu-windows installation (wubi.exe) and then I restarted my computer, I faced master boot record (MBR) error. I don't know what happened but somehow it had modified MBR settings. This also happened once when I installed Ubuntu separately and in my Windows, I formatted that disk partition which had Ubuntu installation files. That was foolish of me to do it.

Anyway, here is the quickest trick to get this problem resolved I found on the net.


Step 1: 

Get Ubuntu installed on a CD/DVD. If you don't know how to do it, follow the step1-3 given here.

Step 2: 

Insert your CD/DVD into drive and make sure your machine boots from the CD.

Step 3:

When machine is started, click on Try Ubuntu. Open terminal and install lilo.

$ sudo apt-get install lilo

Step 4:

$ sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Restart your machine. It should solve MBR problem.

Reference:

http://thameera.wordpress.com/2011/04/24/restoring-the-windows-mbr-using-a-ubuntu-live-cd-or-usb/

No comments:

Post a Comment