Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Installing Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 on 64-bit machine


I was stuck at one thing again during installation of Ubuntu on my machine, so I decided to write this post and took some screenshots during installation.

There are two ways to install Ubuntu I have tried on my laptop, one is within Windows 7 using wubi.exe and second is through burning CD/DVD and install it. During my experience, I found first wubi.exe installation very easy but it gave me error about grup this time after installing wubi.exe and rebooting the machine.

Anyway, I shall be doing installation through DVD burning in this post.

Step 1:

Download iso file from here. Download LTS version as it is more stable than the other one. In my case, I downloaded 64-bit version of 12.04.

Step 2:

Right click on iso file and 'open with' it with 'Windows Disk Image Burner'.



Step 3:

Select DVD drive, select the checkbox titled 'Verify disc after burning' and click on 'Burn' button. Let it burn.





Step 4:

Before proceeding further, you should have at least one drive empty for Ubuntu installation.

If you don't know, you can use Windows Disk Management by go to Start => Make a right click on My Computer icon => Manage => Disk Management. If you don't want to follow this path, you can use Administrative Tools in Control Panel. Empty a drive and now delete this partition.

Remember it's size and it's better to have unique size with respect to other partitions which helps us later.

Step 5:

Keep this DVD in the DVD drive and restart your machine. It will start doing ubuntu installation automatically after detecting bootable DVD otherwise you may have to change boot preferences to boot from CD/DVD.

Step 6:

Ubuntu will check internet connection and other memory requirements. If you have wireless connection, connect it before proceeding. Click Continue to proceed.



Step 7:

It will select language 'English' by default. Click on 'install Ubuntu'. In my case, its not showing it because I used 'try ubuntu' to take screen shots.


Step 8:

Ubuntu asks for installation types and select the following configurations.


Step 9:

Now from steps 4, we know the size of the drive for ubuntu installation. I don't know other way, so I used this trick. In my machine, I had reserved ~40GB for it.

Select that sda/drive with your specific size and click on 'change' button. This is just one way to identity, you can probably name it also.




Step 10:

You will see following screen.



Step 11:

Select 'xfs journaling file system' (I dont have any reason why at this time) and do the following configurations.





Step 12:
You will see checkbox selected against our drive. Now click on Install button.



Step 13:

You may see following page. Just click on 'Continue'








Step 14:
 
Keep clicking on Continue and Next untill everything is installed successfully.

Step 15:

Remove DVD from the drive and reboot your machine.

Happy ubuntuing. =)


1 comment:

  1. fine article:
    this video also helps:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTEf9egv1mM

    ReplyDelete